Our network

Lawley Adds Bob Overhoff, Jr. to Lead Risk Management Services

Buffalo, NY (Oct. 26, 2017) – Lawley, one of the largest independent insurance brokers in the United States according to Business Insurance, formally announces the addition of loss control veteran Bob Overhoff, Jr. as Loss Control Manager.


Previously the Director of Corporate Safety at LPCiminelli, Overhoff, Jr. will work out of Lawley’s headquarters in Buffalo, NY helping customers across Lawley branches in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.


Community Sponsors

Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?

NOCO donates more than $19,000 to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

NOCO donates more than $19,000 to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
NOCO customers and employees generously donated $19,456 to support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Western & Central New York Chapter.


“In our five years of supporting the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, nearly $100,000 has been raised to date by our customers and employees to support ongoing research and services for those in Western New York who are impacted by blood cancers,” said Michael Bradley, chief financial officer and senior vice president, NOCO.


NOCO Express customers had the opportunity to make a $1 donation towards the campaign at any of the company’s 37 locations throughout September. In addition, NOCO employees conducted a month-long fundraiser which included hot dog sales, silent auctions and walk donations. A “Pump It Up” promotion at three Express locations also was conducted where, in exchange for donations, NOCO employees pumped customers’ gas and washed car windows.


Tips to Keep in Mind for Taxpayers Traveling for Charity

During the summer, some taxpayers may travel because of their involvement with a qualified charity. These traveling taxpayers may be able to lower their taxes.

Here are some tax tips for taxpayers to use when deducting charity-related travel expenses:

·         Qualified Charities.  For a taxpayer to deduct costs, they must volunteer for a qualified charity. Most groups must apply to the IRS to become qualified. Churches and governments are generally qualified, and do not need to apply to the IRS. A taxpayer should ask the group about its status before they donate. Taxpayers can also use the Select Check tool on IRS.gov to check a group’s status.

How to Get Tax Transcripts and Copies of Tax Returns from the IRS

Taxpayers should keep copies of their tax returns for at least three years. Those who need a copy of their tax return should check with their software provider or tax preparer. Prior year tax returns are available from IRS for a fee.

For those that need tax transcripts, however, IRS can help. Transcripts are free.

Tax Transcripts

A transcript summarizes return information and includes Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). They are available for the most current tax year after the IRS has processed the return. People can also get them for the past three years.

When applying for home mortgages or college financial aid, transcripts are often necessary. Mortgage companies, however, normally arrange to get one for a homeowner or potential homeowner. For people applying for college financial aid, see IRS Offers Help to Students, Families to Get Tax Information for Student Financial Aid Applications on IRS.gov for the latest options.

Community Sponsors

Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?

Olear Team at MJ Peterson to Offer Seminar for Older Adults and Caregivers

Olear Team at MJ Peterson to Offer Seminar for Older Adults and Caregivers

Michael Olear, a licensed real estate broker from the Olear Team at MJ Peterson Real Estate, will present an educational seminar at Sandra Lane Senior Apartments on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 1 p.m. The Sandra Lane Senior Apartments community is located at 705 Sandra Lane in North Tonawanda. 

The seminar is open to the community and will focus on real estate topics relevant to older adults and their loved ones and caregivers, including right-sizing and simplifying a living situation, preparing for a move, legal and regulatory issues to be aware of, and available resources and tools related to these matters.

To register for the event, please contact the Olear Team at (716) 880-4442.

Exit 2 Bar & Grille Plans Rock-tober Fest, Anniversary Party

Exit 2 Bar & Grille Plans Rock-tober Fest, Anniversary Party

A Rock-tober Fest featuring music by The Boys of Summer will take place from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28, at Exit 2 Bar & Grille. The restaurant is located at 3191 Eggert Road in Tonawanda in the Colvin Eggert Plaza, just off Exit 2 of the I-290.

In addition to live music, other Rock-tober Fest highlights will include a beer tent, best costume contest and a silent auction featuring a guitar autographed by Robby Takac of the Goo Goo Dolls! Tickets are just $5 and are available pre-sale at the restaurant or on the day of the event at the door. Guests must be 21 or older. Proceeds from the event will benefit Music Is Art.

On Saturday, Nov. 11, Exit 2 will celebrate its fourth anniversary with a party from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. featuring music by Busted Stuff. Drink and appetizer specials will be offered.

Members of the Armed Forces Get Special Tax Benefits

Members of the military may qualify for tax breaks and benefits. Special rules could lower the tax they owe or give them more time to file and pay taxes. In addition, some types of military pay are tax-free.

Here are some tips to find out who qualifies:

1. Combat Pay Exclusion.  If someone serves in a combat zone, or provides direct support, part or even all of their combat pay is tax-free. However, there are limits for commissioned officers. See Earned Income Tax Credit below for important information.

2. Deadline Extensions.  Some members of the military, such as those who serve in a combat zone, can postpone most tax deadlines. Those who qualify can get automatic extensions of time to file and pay their taxes.

3. Special Deductions: