Heavy April Showers Bring Water Woes for Area Homeowners; Tips Will Help Prevent Future Damage | Home & Garden
Two inches of rain fell throughout Western New York on Thursday, April 20, causing sump pump failures and flooding issues in many homes. And if you’ve ever stood in those shoes — or boots — you know the aftermath can be an absolute mess!
“When your home suffers water damage, time matters and it’s important to take immediate action,” said Edmund Bedient, owner of Clear Choice Carpet Cleaning Services in West Seneca. “In order to prevent structural damage and mold growth, it’s important to act quickly and contact an experienced company with professional references and an outstanding reputation. This is no time to be scammed by a fly-by-night contractor.
“The homeowner also has a choice of who to use for the cleanup and repair,” Bedient stressed. “Get pricing before any work is done and remember that insurance doesn't always cover everything. We will work within the homeowner’s budget or coverage.”
In addition to the April showers that have plagued the area, there are many other ways that water can damage your home, such as washing machine issues, a dishwasher leak, broken pipes, an overflowing toilet and more. Here are some tips from Clear Choice on protecting your home from future water damage:
• Use water-resistant building materials for renovations below ground, and put weather protection sealant around basement windows.
• Keep furniture, electronics and other valuables in an area least likely to be affected by flooding.
• Raise large appliances, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. off the basement floor if possible.
• Install a water alarm to let you know if water is accumulating in your basement. You may also want to install a backup sump pump system for additional peace of mind.
• Make sure downspouts extend at least six feet from your basement walls.
• Homeowners should also review their insurance policies annually. Be sure there is sufficient water/sewage backup coverage.
For more information on water and flood damage and repair, please contact Clear Choice Cleaning Services at 827-8484 or visit www.buffalocarpets.com.