Friends and Family Remember SSG William 'Billy' Wilson | News
GETZVILLE, NY - Funeral services for Army Staff Sgt. William R. Wilson were held this morning at The Chapel at Crosspoint.
The 27-year-old Getzville native was killed last week in Afghanistan, and his body was returned to Western New York on Tuesday.
- Click here to see a photo gallery from the procession and funeral
- You can view the complete funeral service in the video player.
If you would like to send your condolence to the family, please click here.
Rev. Richard George conducted the service.
The funeral procession began at Amigone Funeral Home around 9:15 a.m., and continued northbound on Hopkins Road, left on Dodge Road, passing the Wilson home, and then down Millersport Highway to the Chapel.
Bagpipes began and ended the service, and were also played at the gravesite.
Rev. George says before the service that there is so much to say about SSG Wilson that there would not be nearly enough time to get it all in.
"He was a sincere young man, he was a young man who did things for others, he had a high integrity," said Rev. George. "This young man's a hero, and to me, to be a part of that is a privilege, an honor, an opportunity and a blessing."
Upcoming Events near Amherst
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The Battle of Scajaquada Creek Bridge Commemoration August 3
- Drums Along the Waterfront to Offer Free Shuttle Bus Service
- Seven Local High Schools to Host Drums Along the Waterfront Corps
- Italian Festival starts Thursday on Hertel Avenue
- The Pasta Peddler, Blackbird Sweets to Occupy Larger Hertel Avenue Location