Alix Rice Heim Road Memorial Grows | News
AMHERST, NY- The makeshift memorial for 18-year-old Alexandria Rice has stood at the crash site on Heim Road in Amherst since the night of the crash that claimed her life last July. Wednesday night, it grew much larger.
Dozens of friends and neighbors stopped by to pay their respects to Alix and her family. They brought flowers, hung signs, drew on the sidewalk, and lit candles. They say their hearts hurt for the Rice family when they heard the jury's verdict: Dr. Corasanti was not guilty on all charges, and guilty of only DWI.
Many said they didn't see this coming. They used words like "flabbergasted," and "sickened," and "shocked." They said it also makes them question the judicial system.
"How much can we trust it?" asked Tom Ranallo, who lives near the crash scene. "I don't want to criticize the jury for their decision. I'm sure they have reasons why they unanimously decided this. But from everything you could see in the papers, it seems a little shocking."
"I don't feel justice has been served," said Alix's friend Ashley Kish. "I feel her memory has been disgraced by this."
Upcoming Events near Amherst
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The 2014 Social Security Trustees Report: What Does the Future Hold?
- I'm purchasing a new laptop. Should I also purchase an extended warranty to go along with it?
- I just learned that my credit- and debit-card information was part of a data breach.
- What Is the Federal Reserve and What Does It Do?
- 10 Basic Tax To-Dos for the Rest of 2014