Vigil for Alix Rice | News
AMHERST, N.Y. -- Richard Rice, the father of Alix, had an emotional day as he spoke in court and then watched as Dr. James Corasanti was sentenced for D.W.I. in connection with the accident which killed his 18 year old daughter. But then he greeted the dozens who turned out to honor Alix's memory at the memorial set up at the accident location on Heim Road.
As Rice put it to the crowd "Alix would be amazed because you're all amazing."
Many did gather for the vigil as they later lit candles. Some were briefly placed on the guardrail at the accident site.
Many people said they had never met Alix but they were obviously moved by the tragic news of her death and the uplifting stories about her vital spirit. Some also expressed satisfaction with the one year sentence for Corasanti even as they were frustrated by the original verdict of not guilty for the most serious charges against him.
Some young people, who said they were classmates with Alix at Depew High School, said the tragedy touched their lives and they will now try to avoid any instance of drinking and driving. They will also use her tragic example to urge others not to get behind the wheel after using alcohol or other substances.
Upcoming Events near Amherst
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The 2014 Social Security Trustees Report: What Does the Future Hold?
- I'm purchasing a new laptop. Should I also purchase an extended warranty to go along with it?
- I just learned that my credit- and debit-card information was part of a data breach.
- What Is the Federal Reserve and What Does It Do?
- 10 Basic Tax To-Dos for the Rest of 2014