CO Scare at UB Could Prompt Changes in College Dorms | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Sunday night's carbon monoxide scare at UB's North Campus could prompt change in college dorms across the state.
Several students were sickened when CO leaked from a boiler in the Richmond Quad Housing Area.
University officials tell 2 On Your Side that hard-wired carbon monoxide detectors were not in the dormitories because they are not mandated by law. They do have several plug-in units near possible CO sources, such as boilers and laundry rooms.
Joseph Brennan, UB's Associate Vice President for University Communications, says that this incident is a call to action and they will begin installing integrated, hard-wired smoke, heat and CO detectors in all dormitory buildings in the next few weeks.
Now, several state lawmakers and Ken Hansen, who lost his daughter Amanda to CO Poisoning a few years ago, want to amend Amanda's Law to make the hard-wired detectors mandatory in all college dorm rooms in New York.
Upcoming Events near Amherst
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- FLAMES ACROSS NIAGARA Bonfire commemorating the burning of Black Rock & Buffalo 200 years ago
- Nichols School students sign letters of intent to play Division I and II sports
- GIFTS OF ART for the HOLIDAYS opening at Artsphere Studio & Gallery
- Senator Mark Grisanti Receives ‘Boys And Girls Town of Italy’ Man Of The Year Award
- Senator Grisanti Named ‘Men Moving Forward’ Award Recipient