Census Results: Amherst Shows Modest Growth Since 2000 | News
AMHERST, N.Y. - The U.S. Census Bureau has released results of the 2010 census for New York, and the numbers show that population in all eight Western New York counties continues to decline. Erie County’s population (919,040) is down 3.3% since the 2000 census; Niagara County is down 1.5%; Chautauqua County, 3.5%; Cattaraugus County, 4.3%; Allegany, 2.0%; Wyoming County, 2.9%; Genesee County, 0.5%; Orleans County, 2.9%.
The City of Buffalo lost 10.7% of its population, down to 261,310, which accounted for all of Erie County's population loss. (See the complete WGRZ report here).
The Town of Amherst bucked the trend by growing 5.0% to 122,366.
Upcoming Events near Amherst
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- FLAMES ACROSS NIAGARA Bonfire commemorating the burning of Black Rock & Buffalo 200 years ago
- Nichols School students sign letters of intent to play Division I and II sports
- GIFTS OF ART for the HOLIDAYS opening at Artsphere Studio & Gallery
- Senator Mark Grisanti Receives ‘Boys And Girls Town of Italy’ Man Of The Year Award
- Senator Grisanti Named ‘Men Moving Forward’ Award Recipient