Census Results: Amherst Shows Modest Growth Since 2000 | News
AMHERST, N.Y. - The U.S. Census Bureau has released results of the 2010 census for New York, and the numbers show that population in all eight Western New York counties continues to decline. Erie County’s population (919,040) is down 3.3% since the 2000 census; Niagara County is down 1.5%; Chautauqua County, 3.5%; Cattaraugus County, 4.3%; Allegany, 2.0%; Wyoming County, 2.9%; Genesee County, 0.5%; Orleans County, 2.9%.
The City of Buffalo lost 10.7% of its population, down to 261,310, which accounted for all of Erie County's population loss. (See the complete WGRZ report here).
The Town of Amherst bucked the trend by growing 5.0% to 122,366.
Top Amherst Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Clarence School Budget Revote Passes; Other Revote Results
- Erie County Executive Answers Questions About Goodrich Road
- Worst WNY Roads: Goodrich Road Still A Problem
- Legislator Rath to host Radon Awareness Event - Saturday, June 22 at Clarence Farmers Market
- State Police Locate Missing Elderly Man in Tennessee