Census Results: Amherst Shows Modest Growth Since 2000 | News
AMHERST, N.Y. - The U.S. Census Bureau has released results of the 2010 census for New York, and the numbers show that population in all eight Western New York counties continues to decline. Erie County’s population (919,040) is down 3.3% since the 2000 census; Niagara County is down 1.5%; Chautauqua County, 3.5%; Cattaraugus County, 4.3%; Allegany, 2.0%; Wyoming County, 2.9%; Genesee County, 0.5%; Orleans County, 2.9%.
The City of Buffalo lost 10.7% of its population, down to 261,310, which accounted for all of Erie County's population loss. (See the complete WGRZ report here).
The Town of Amherst bucked the trend by growing 5.0% to 122,366.
Upcoming Events near Amherst
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The Battle of Scajaquada Creek Bridge Commemoration August 3
- Seven Local High Schools to Host Drums Along the Waterfront Corps
- Italian Festival starts Thursday on Hertel Avenue
- The Pasta Peddler, Blackbird Sweets to Occupy Larger Hertel Avenue Location
- Drums Along the Waterfront Tour of Champions Event Announces Venue Change