’Tis the Season to Treat Your Cat | Pets
(Welcome to our pet column, courtesy of Pet Connection Programs Inc. of Marilla. We post a new article each week, so be sure to check back on a regular basis!)
This holiday season, as you're making a list and checking it twice; don't forget to treat your most loyal companion — your cat.
According to a new survey conducted by Temptations Treats for Cats, you won't be alone. Nearly half of all cat owners go the extra mile this time of year to buy their cat the pawfect gift.
Ladies, if you think you're spending more on your cat than the men, think again. It was discovered that men are more likely to outspend women on their cat during the holidays. More than 34 percent of men surveyed said they'd spend upwards of $11 to $20 on their cat's gift, while just over 38 percent of women estimate spending closer to $6 to $10.
"Incorporating treats into your holiday and daily routine can build and strengthen your relationship with your cat and reinforce your cat's behavior," said Dr. Tiffany Bierer, a nutrition manager for Mars Petcare U.S., the makers of Temptations Treats for Cats. "A positive reward helps your cat recognize what you want them to do, and creates playful moments during the holidays and beyond."
Consider this advice when shopping for treats and toys to fill your feline friends' stockings:
• Even though more than 84 percent of respondents say they'd buy their cats toys for the holidays, cat owners mostly believe their cats actually want treats (41.1 percent). Treating your cat not only builds and strengthens the pet/owner relationship, but it also reinforces behavior, as positive rewards help the pet recognize what you want your feline friend to do.
• If keeping your kitty fit this holiday is a priority, then Temptations Treats for Cats have you covered. At only two calories per treat, they pack a great combination of flavor and nutritional benefit.
• Gifts that do double-duty can make you just as happy as your kitty companion. For example, a new scratching post is a fun new diversion, but it also helps direct kitty's attention away from your furniture and carpet.
• Look for a variety of toys. Some are intended for solely independent play, while others let you get in on the fun and create bonding opportunities.
If you're still stumped on what gift will be the cat's meow, check out the wish-list generator at www.facebook.com/temptations. Answer a few simple questions about your cat's personality, and the wish-list generator will produce customized gift ideas to delight even the most fickle feline.
— Family Features
(For more information on pets and animal adoption, please visit www.petconnectionprogramsinc.com. Or, visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Pet-Connection-Programs-inc-Marilla-NY/114420508616511. Located in Marilla, N.Y., Pet Connection Programs Inc. is a nonprofit maternity and special care shelter founded in 1984.)
Upcoming Events near Amherst
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- FLAMES ACROSS NIAGARA Bonfire commemorating the burning of Black Rock & Buffalo 200 years ago
- Nichols School students sign letters of intent to play Division I and II sports
- GIFTS OF ART for the HOLIDAYS opening at Artsphere Studio & Gallery
- Senator Mark Grisanti Receives ‘Boys And Girls Town of Italy’ Man Of The Year Award
- Senator Grisanti Named ‘Men Moving Forward’ Award Recipient